Thursday, May 28

Cupcake Critique: A review of Dots Cupcakes in Pasadena


In the past few years’ cupcakes have become an obsession. These cute little portion friendly treats are perfect for any occasion. Dots Cupcakes in Pasadena is one of the many cupcake companies out there that has become famous. Dots offers some interesting flavors and a unique look of their own. The flower on top has become their logo in the same way that Sprinkles has the trademark "dot". 

I thought it would be cool to do a review of some of their cupcakes. Here's a look into 4 of their flavors: 















Dulce de Leche: I bought this one in a mini version and it is really cute. I really liked the flavor of this one. The caramel was not too overpowering, it had kind of a maple brown sugar taste. The frosting was creamy and I thought the vanilla actually was too strong to complement the caramel. The cake was not dry, very moist and did not crumble everywhere when I bit into it. Overall, a really interesting flavor! 



Lemon Drop: I love the yellow swirl on top, so cute! I liked the lemon flavor; it was very key lime pie tasting. The cake was a little dry but not super dry or anything. Maybe I just had one that had been sitting out longer. This would be a great cupcake for an afternoon tea or a baby shower because it's really light and does not make you feel sickly full (sometimes those double chocolate ones really get to me). Overall this one was my favorite. 




Red Velvet: The ever so popular red velvet lived up to my expectations. The color was a really deep red and I liked that. The cake was spongy but dense enough. The flower on top was really cute. The cream cheese frosting was the perfect frosting to balance out the cake. I get so sick of really heavy overpowering cream cheese frostings but this one was so light and delicious. I highly recommend it. 




Chocolate Vanilla: The first thing that caught my eye about this cupcake was the great brown color of the frosting. However, I was disappointed by the way it tasted. The frosting was kind of gritty and bland. The yellow vanilla cake didn't do much for me either.I really liked the flower on this one. Overall I think this cupcake could use some work. 



Dots has 2 stores. One in Old Town and one on arroyo parkway. I went to the one in Old Town and it was very clean and open. I know this one makes more cupcakes than the one on arroyo parkway. I think Old Town is a great location for a cupcake store that wants a lot of walk in customers. 

 

So, go to Dots Cupcakes in Pasadena and try some yummy cupcakes!  

No comments:

Post a Comment